Health services management students need more preparation than ever to solve the problems they will confront in the increasingly complex health services environment. Cases in Health Services Management, Fifth Edition, presents 28 challenging cases (10 new to this edition) that address pivotal issues students will encounter as administrators and managers: quality improvement, strategic planning, ethical dilemmas, organizational dynamics, cost-benefit analyses, resource utilization, and more.
Students can hone their management acumen with real-life case examples like these:
*When an advance in medical technology significantly improves the outcomes of a common procedure but triples its cost, can the needs of patients, hospitals, and insurers be reconciled?
* After a collapse in leadership in the face of unrest among internal staff and external service providers, can a new hospital administrator implement a culture change to introduce greater transparency and a self-management learning style?
* A hospital merger requires consolidation of duplicated services and careful scrutiny of a premier burn center whose continuation or closure has financial, community, and organizational ramifications.
* Deciding whether to remove an entrenched founder and CEO from a national 400-facility, multi-level long-term care health system that is in a downward financial spiral poses significant challenges to its board of directors.
* The leadership and strategic planning required to manage rural hospitals emerges as a new CEO tries to turn around a struggling facility's fiscal picture and solve chronic physician recruitment problems against a backdrop of local concerns.
Providing an exceptional framework for classroom discussion and practice in decision making, Cases in Health Services Management is an outstanding casebook for capstone and issues courses and a valuable supplement for health services courses in organization and management, strategic planning, finance, and marketing.
- ☛ Cases in Health Services Management 5th Edition
- Binding: Paperback
- Brand: Rakich Jonathon S Longest Beaufort B Jr Darr Kurt
- Product Group: Book
- Product Type Name: ABIS_BOOK
- Manufacturer: Health Professions Pr
- Edition: 5
- Publication Date: 2010-04-12
- ISBN: 1932529594
- Publisher: Health Professions Pr
- Studio: Health Professions Pr
- Number Of Pages: 464